Friday, September 23, 2016

Dragon Gate Inn and The Hateful Eight

This week we watched "Dragon Gate Inn," another classic King Hu film. It has all the tropes you would come to expect from his movies but with a very interesting story. The most surprising thing about this movie though is how similar it is to Quentin Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight."

I remember the first time I watched the "The Hateful Eight" and thought to myself how awesome the story was. I haven't seen a movie where the filmmaker was able to establish so much suspense and mystery in one location. The keep you guessing nature of the film is genius and makes you wonder if you can trust any of the characters.

I was pleasantly surprised that this story already existed within King Hu's universe. This made me realize that King Hu's influence not only reached Chinese filmmakers but had a huge influence on Quentin Tarantino.

Quentin loves strong female protagonists that are out for vengeance or justice. The Bride in "Kill Bill" is a lot like the Golden Swallow in "Come Drink With Me." A single lone woman taking on a bunch of thugs in a stylish and entertaining fight that comes off more like a dance than an actual fight.

It's nice to know that the more King Hu movies I watch the more I will see his influence on other filmmakers. It makes this mysterious filmmaker to me, even more relevant and exciting to watch. He is a master filmmaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment